Ethereal Spheres Forum Index Ethereal Spheres
In the study of deeper wisdom.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Get a free website and blog

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does this sound appealing to you?
YES!
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
um... and this is different from geocities how?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

elliander
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Get a free website and blog Reply with quote

The main website has sub-domain capability. I have it set up, right now, with my own page about me integrated into the site to advertise myself as a healer with an integrated wordpress blog.

Anyone who wants a web page and blog to advertise ones own spiritual services is welcome to for free. (While I do not have to manually add users to the forum, I would have to manually add a user blog and web page.)

You will be given FTP access to your sub-domain and you will be able to customize your very own wordpress blog. Naturally, I ask that you maintain links back to the main site www.etherealspheres.com from your sub domain and when it is complete I will make sure it can be linked to from the main site.

The purpose of the main site of course is community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Llefyn Mallwen
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this idea, never had my own site before. But I'd be interested and love to get on board with this. What do I need to do? Thanks E!

Llefyn
elliander
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: How to request Reply with quote

It's very simple. Cool

Though just a bit complicated... Rolling Eyes

At this time, I have not been able to find to install an automated process for setting this up, so I have to do it manually on request.

Just respond to this post, letting me know that you are interested. And tell me what name you want it to be. (it should be one word) I would then create a sub domain in that name.

For example, [url]elliander.etherealspheres.com[/url] is my sub domain. A user can then reach your site by typing in (name).etherealspheres.com

Then you will need to tell me what you want your FTP username and password to be. This, you will need to tell me in a private message since it gives you full access to your website. You will not be able to change this yourself. Your FTP username and password can be used to view the directories of your website in the browser, such as
ftp://(name).etherealspheres.com

Once you have access, you will then be able to build your website. Either in HTML, or with a tool like Front Page. Once it is built you would just have to use an FTP client to upload to your website. I personally use CuteFTP http://www.cuteftp.com/ but that is a pay program. You can as easily use a free FTP client such as http://www.coreftp.com/ or http://www.smartftp.com/

If you would like a Blog set up, let me know and I will install it for you. My Blog, as an example, is www.elliander.etherealspheres.com/blog - A few things to remember about the Blog, is to never put anything inside the blog directory yourself (well, unless you download a wordpress instruction and follow the instructions carefully) and that you should not add users to your blog with the ability to author. Otherwise you will probably get an error. You will not be able to change your blog user name from admin but you will be able to change your blog password.

_______

Ok, ok. I know the above was really detailed and probably sounds complicated. And yes, I did spend several hours wracking my brain to figure all this stuff out, but it would only take me about 5 minutes tops to set something like this up and on your end the only things you need to know is how to build a website, how to upload files to your website, how to log into your blog, and how to manage blog themes.

Some more advanced features include scripts like iform. For example, for my blog elliander.etherealspheres.com/blog I have it inside an iform. like this: http://www.elliander.etherealspheres.com/elliander's_blog.htm

In making your website, you can use the following script and just replace the URL with your own.

<iframe></iframe>
_______

oh, and one more thing. let me know the general theme so I can list it on the main page in your chosen category and do try to link back to the main site if you can manage it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Llefyn Mallwen
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I guess this is a bit beyond me, as I don't know how to build a website even. I don't know anything about it. Thanks for the offer, but it's beyond me at this point. Mabey someday after I learn some from my computer-programmer-boyfriend (darn, he's a smart dragon!)

Llefyn
elliander
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: hmm. Reply with quote

hmm. I'll tell you what.

At the simplist I can set you up with a Blog and an e-mail account (I just got done integrating Squirrel Mail with the website)

I can do that right away and you would not have to do anything technical.

Then you can, at a later time, figure things out. I will set you up with an index page that you will be able to edit any time you want to, but you certainly don't have to.
Llefyn Mallwen
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, E. That's a bit more my speed! lol Appreciate your time and effort on this. Smile

Llefyn
elliander
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Setting it up... Reply with quote

Ok. I am in the process of setting it up for you now.

Blog:

www.llefyn.etherealspheres.com/blog

Squirrel mail:

llefyn@etherealspheres.com

I am just waiting on the server at the moment to finish processing the requests. When it is ready, I will message you your log in information.
elliander
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Big relief.

While I do have to manually set up an e-mail account, users are able to change their own password after they log in.

If you have trouble logging in or forget your password I am able to reset it for you. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ethereal Spheres Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: